It’s that time of the year again in the United States, where we find ourselves making plans, setting tables, and pouring wine. Yup, it is Thanksgiving! With so many loved ones coming together, we all want to look and feel our best. So, I’ll let you in on a little secret of mine:
I’m going to tell you the 360 approach to making your neck match your face — and getting rid of that turkey neck by Thanksgiving!
What is referred to as a “Turkey Neck” forms when the skin underneath your chin becomes loose and lax, resembling a turkey’s wattle. It can happen as a result of aging, weight loss or, in some cases, it can simply be genetic. Loose skin, excess fat, loss of laxticity from age, loss of muscle tone, and side sleeping – are all possible results in what is sometimes referred to as a “turkey neck.”
How do you get it?
As we age we lose skin elasticity and muscle tone, which causes the chin to sag. Thick vertical platysmal bands often become visible, running in a V-shape from the top portion of the neck to the base, pulling the neck down. Another common reason is excess fat in the body.
Looking at the image to the left, the issue is her platysmal bands. They are pulling the look of her neck down. Also the excess skin and loss of fat in her overall face – she has no support up here which leaves all this skin sagging – what she refers to as “the waddle.” No bueno!
From this, platysmal bands may also occur because of a diastasis of the midline platysmal muscle and a laxity of the submental fat. These bands can become more dominant with grinding or clinching.
So, this brings us to….
How Does Someone Remedy “Turkey Neck?”
It is better to maintain then try to reclaim!
- Nefertiti Neck Lift: named after the famous Egyptian Queen and figure of beauty in history. Nefertiti is known for her swan-like, elegant neck and is the inspiration for this progressive treatment. Botox or Dysport in the platsyma bands combined with filler and Thermage skin tightening gives an immediate neck lift.
- Restylane Lyft
- Thermage (radio frequency) skin tightening
At-Home Devices: Can help prevent a turkey neck from forming – also beginning in-spa treatments early.
- Beauty Bear Age Delay Pillow
- EGF Stem Cell Complex ** Need to use a moisturizer with growth factors as we stop producing new collagen at age 25
- Sit or stand up straight – look to the ceiling with your mouth closed and begin a chewing motion – do this for 30 seconds and rest for 10 seconds – repeat 2 times.
ALSO! Maintaining a healthy overall body fat percentage (women: 14-24% men: 6-17%) and staying hydrated considerably helps! Hydrated skin is less likely to sag or wrinkle. 🙂